Raga Gavati / Gaoti
The rare raga Gavati (Gawati, Gawoti, Gaoti, Gavti) is an under utilized gem of the Indian raga pantheon, which for some reason, has failed to get widespread popularity among musicians. Chief sources of performances in this raga are mainly sitar (notably, the Imdadkhani group of sitarists Vilayat Khan, Imrat Khan, Nishat Khan, Shahid Parvez and Wajahat Khan) and some vocalists.
Raga Gavati is also called Raga Bheem.
In this Raga, in Uttarang, Komal Nishad is always rendered in Meend from Shadj (S') as a Kan-Swar like G m P (S')n S'. Similarly in Avroh, Nishad is generally skipped like S' (P)D P and G m R S is rendered instead of m G R S. However, In fast rendering (Taans), G m P n S' n D P G m R S is taken.
Gavati’s signature is S M P N S (upper) D. This signature heralds the arrival of Gaoti, and sets it apart from other ragas. However, there are some issues. It is not practical to keep avoiding the Ga, so many a Gaoti chalan sounds like:
G M P N S D as well.
Although the swaras of this raga nominally line up with the Khamaj that, they do not carry the burden of the Khamaj raganga. The following chalan captures Gavati’s essence:
G M P (S”)n S” (P)D, P, D M P G M R n’ S
S M, M P G M P n, S”, P n S” (P)D, P
Gavati is also known as Bheem. Some distinguish the two by adding to the latter a vivadi komal gandhar in the tar saptaka. Note that this Bheem is not the same as that of the Kafi that.
- Gawoti is a 'learned' raga by which unlike many major ragas, it leaves the listener with a pleasant, fulfilled feeling, but it’s appeal isn’t very obvious. It’s like enjoying a perfume without actually knowing why it’s so nice. The secret lies in the peculiar gait of the this raga i.e. its particular combination of notes which gives it this flavor and emotion.
- The particular appeal of Gaoti to me is that it has a 'happy' disposition, but there is a plaintive element to it as well. It’s almost like meeting a friend, having a great conversation but as you go to leave, your friend exhorts you to stay in a pleading manner. (the upper notes of the raga played in a particular fashion can evoke this feeling).
Thaat : Kafi Some consider Gavati in the Khamaj Thaat.
Jati : Audhav-Sampurna Vakra
Vadi : S
Samvadi : P
Aaroh : ,n S G m P n S'
Avroh : S' n D P m G P m ; G m R S ; ,n S ,P ,n S ;
Vishranti Sthan : S; G; P; - S'; P; G;
Time : Third prahar of the day (12 Noon to 3 PM)
Swaras : Rishabh, Dhaivat Varjya in Aaroh. Nishad Komal. Rest all Shuddha Swaras.
Songs in Raga Gawati
1) Chalo Chale Mitwa (Film - Nayak , 2001)
2) Baat Meri Suniye To Zara (Film - Kuch Naa Kaho, 2003 )
3) Ek Saathi Aur Bhi Tha (Film - LOC Kargil, 2003)
4) Kariye Na (Film - Taal, 1999)
5) Prem Varadan ( Marathi )